The holiday season is a great time of year to look for new recipes to try out in the kitchen. Although the recipe we’re sharing with you today isn’t a new invention and it’s no substitute for turkey and stuffing, we’re sure that it will be a sweet surprise.
We’re talking about pineapple upside down cake, which can give an original and homemade touch to your family dinner, where a good dessert is always appreciated. Make sure to let everyone know before dinner to leave room for a piece of this delicious cake.
Pineapple upside down cake: a sweet treat for your family during this holiday season
Here, we’ll share the list of ingredients you’ll need for this recipe. If you want to give this cake a touch of Christmas colours, you can use red and green fruit to decorate it.
Pineapple upside down cake ingredients
- 4 eggs
- ½ a cup of butter
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 can of pineapple slices
- 10 maraschino cherries or strawberries
- 1 cup of sifted all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- ¼ a teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon of almond extract
Steps to make pineapple upside down cake
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC.
- Melt ½ a cup of butter in a pan over low heat.
- Remove butter from heat and evenly distribute brown sugar in the pan.
- Place enough pineapple slices on top of the brown sugar to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Place the strawberries or cherries in the center of the pineapple slices.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt, and set aside.
- Beat egg whites in a big bowl until they form soft peaks.
- Add egg whites to white sugar gradually, continually mixing as you add them. Continue mixing until firmer peaks are formed.
- Beat egg yolks at high speed in a separate bowl, until they are thick and pale yellow.
- Gently fold egg yolks, egg whites and dry ingredients together, using a whisk or a rubber spatula.
- Add 1 tablespoon of melted butter and almond extract.
- Pour the mixture into the pan over the pineapple.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 or 35 minutes, or until the cake can pass the toothpick test.
- Gently use a knife to separate the side of the cake from the pan.
- Leave the cake in the pan for 5 minutes, then flip in onto a platter and remove the pan.
We hope that this recipe will be useful to you for your family dinners this holiday season. If you want to try making another festive dessert, we also recommend:
|Pineapple and celery smoothie recipe|